SANLAM PORTRAIT AWARD 2017
The overall winner:
- Will receive a cash prize of R100 000.
- If the winning work is painted in acrylic or oil on canvas or board, which is a pre-requisite of entry for the BP Portrait Award, the work will initially join the touring exhibition after the exhibition at the Rust-en-Vrede gallery, but will then be entered into the BP Portrait Award 2018 in London. The sponsor will help with some of the expenses.
- The winning painting will feature on the cover of the 2019 Catalogue and Entry Form.
- The winner will have the opportunity of a small solo exhibition at the Rust-en-Vrede Gallery in 2019.
The top 40 selected paintings:
- Will be exhibited at the Rust-en-Vrede Gallery from 24 August until 27 October 2017.
- The artists of the top 40 selected works will be invited to the gala event at Rust-en-Vrede, for the Award ceremony.
- The first 40 works will be published in the 2017 SANLAM Portrait Award catalogue.
- Under the auspices of Stefan Hundt, curator of the Sanlam Art Collection, the first 40 selected paintings will go on tour to various museums and galleries throughout South Africa after the exhibition at Rust-en-Vrede Gallery. Each venue will have an official opening sponsored by Sanlam.
- The artists of the top 40 selected works will have the opportunity to take part in a group exhibition at the Rust-en-Vrede Gallery in 2019.
- A VIEWERS CHOICE award will be made to one of the top 40 artists towards the end of May/June 2018.
- The 60 other selected paintings:
- 60 more works will be selected to be exhibited at the Michaelis School of Fine Art in Gardens, Cape Town to form the PORTRAIT 100 exhibition.