2019 SANLAM PORTRAIT AWARD / Rules & regulations
This competition will be judged over two rounds. The first-round entries are to be submitted digitally on the Rust-en-Vrede website. The second-round selected artists will be invited to send their original work to Rust-en-Vrede Gallery.
- The competition is open to all entrants who are permanently resident in South Africa and 18 years of age or older on 1 January 2019. Those not eligible for entry are employees of the Sanlam Group, the Rust-en-Vrede Gallery staff, the judges adjudicating the 2019 award, any of their immediate family and the winner of the 2017 Portrait Award.
- Entries should be submitted online at rust-en-vrede.com/sanlam-portrait-award from 00:01 on 1 May 2019 to 23:59 on 31 May 2019.
- The portrait that you enter should be of a person (or persons) whom you know and whose consent has been expressly granted for their likeness to be used and/or depicted graphically. Working from photographs is permitted provided these were taken by yourself with the full and express consent of the person photographed, or their legal guardian.
- Multiple entries are allowed. One entry per artwork.
- The work must be a two-dimensional portrait and comply with the stated size requirements. Self- and group portraits are permitted. No sculptures, photographs and works created using software or other digital means are allowed.
- A work submitted for the competition must have been created by the entrant, i.e. it must be his or her original work. All works remain the property of the entrant for the duration of the competition and exhibition, unless a work is sold at the exhibition.
- All entries are to be for sale at a market-related price and Rust-en-Vrede Gallery will act as the appointed agent. The entrant must provide a selling price for each work. Rust-en-Vrede Gallery will deduct a 30% commission on all sales. Rust-en-Vrede Gallery is not VAT registered and therefore VAT is not charged. Rust-en-Vrede Gallery’s appointment will automatically terminate when the work has been returned to the entrant, or sold.
- Size & Mass Limitations:
Minimum size: 20cm width x 25cm height (unframed). Works smaller than this will be disqualified.
Maximum size: 120cm width x 200cm height (framed). Works larger than this will be disqualified.
No work or frame may exceed 10cm in depth.
Weight restriction: No work may exceed 20kg in weight.
- No multiple-part works (i.e. diptychs or triptychs) will be accepted.
- THE ENTRANT MAY NOT SIGN OR WRITE HIS OR HER NAME ANYWHERE ON THE WORK, INCLUDING THE BACK. All works will be judged anonymously and any work that is signed or contains any marking identifying the entrant may be disqualified. All selected works may be signed after the Sanlam Portrait Award winner has been announced.
- Work submitted should have been COMPLETED after 1 January 2019.
- Work previously submitted for a competition or exhibited in the public domain, including but not limited to, electronic media such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or on a website, may not be entered into this competition.
- A copy of a document confirming your identity and age (ID, driver’s license, passport) and a copy of proof of payment should be uploaded on your digital entry (please view the video clip on HOW TO ENTER)
- During the FIRST ROUND, the digital images will be viewed by a panel of judges. They will select up to 500 works from the digital entries. These artists will be notified by Rust-en-Vrede Gallery via telephone, email or WhatsApp by Monday 8 July 2019.
- The decision of the judges is final. No correspondence will be entered into. Entrants should be aware that all artworks are judged on an equal and anonymous basis.
- Rust-en-Vrede Gallery reserves the right to disqualify any artwork if the artist has not complied with the above rules as stipulated, even if the work was selected for exhibition.
SECOND ROUND: (ONLY APPLICABLE TO SELECTED AND NOTIFIED ARTISTS)
- You will need to arrange the delivery of your artwork to arrive at Rust-en-Vrede Gallery by no later than 15:00 on 20 July 2019. You have the following options:
Hand-deliver to the gallery in person or send your work with a courier of your choice.
- Works must be delivered UNWRAPPED, with the personal information sheet firmly attached to the back of the artwork, to Rust-en-Vrede Gallery, 10 Wellington Road, Durbanville (tel 021 976 4691) between:
Monday 8 July to Saturday 13 July 2019 from 9:00 to 15:00
Monday 15 July to Saturday 20 July 2019 from 9:00 to 15:00
- If works are sent by a courier or a third party, please arrange with them to remove the packaging and to present the work unwrapped, as packaging cannot be retained.
- Entrants will have to adhere to the above dates and times when delivering to Rust-en-Vrede Gallery. NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE.
Make use of the Stuttaford Van Lines free delivery service at one of the depots listed below.
- Rust-en-Vrede Gallery has contracted Stuttaford Van Lines as the official courier service. This is a free service to entrants. Stuttaford Van Lines will wrap and package the work and transport it to Rust-en-Vrede Gallery. They will collect unselected work from the gallery, re-wrap it and transport it to the depot as indicated by the entrant on the entry form. Entrants will be notified by Rust-en-Vrede Gallery when they may collect the work from the various depots.
- Should an entrant wish to make use of this option, the work should be delivered UNWRAPPED with the personal information sheet firmly attached to the back of the artwork, to one of the three specified depots between:
Friday 5 July 2019 from 9:00 to 15:00
Monday 8 July 2019 to Wednesday 10 July 2019 from 9:00 to 15:00 daily
NO ARTWORK WILL BE ACCEPTED AT ANY OF THE DEPOTS LISTED BELOW, AFTER 15:00 ON WEDNESDAY 10 JULY 2019.
JOHANNESBURG: Lord’s View Industrial Park 2, Oak road, Chloorkop, Johannesburg.
Contact person: Margarida Frernandes, tel 011 206 1500.
DURBAN: 8 – 10 Ernest Clokie Road, Prospecton, Durban.
Contact person: Duncan Schulze, tel 031 902 3566.
PORT ELIZABETH: 21 Kwaford Road, Struandale, Port Elizabeth.
Contact person: Lesley Berrange, tel 041 405 7400.
- Complete and attach the PERSONAL INFORMATION SHEET which will be sent to the selected entrants, to the back of each artwork. (SEE VIDEO CLIP)
- The personal data supplied by the artist will be used only for the purposes of the Sanlam Portrait Award and will not be transferred to any third party.
- NO WET, OR SLIGHTLY WET, PAINTINGS WILL BE ACCEPTED. NO EXCEPTIONS! Pastel and charcoal drawings must be treated with a suitable fixative. All works on paper should be mounted behind glass or Perspex.
- The responsibility for damage or loss, however caused, lies with the entrant. Entrants are therefore advised to arrange adequate insurance cover against all risks. The sponsor, the carriers, the collection points, the touring venues, any other subcontractor, agent, or Rust-en-Vrede Gallery as the organiser of the Portrait Award, will not be liable for any loss or damage, whether or not caused by their negligence.
- The judges will select the final 100 artworks from those delivered to the gallery.
- The entrants whose works are selected will be notified by Rust-en-Vrede Gallery by 3 August 2019. These names will also be published on our social media.
- Unselected work can be collected from Rust-en-Vrede Gallery from Monday 5 August 2019 to Saturday 10 August 2019 from 9:00 to 15:00 daily.
- If you have indicated on your entry form that you want to make use of Stuttaford Van Lines to collect, package and return your work to your depot of choice, Rust-en-Vrede Gallery will notify you as soon as the work arrives at the depots. Please consult the Rust-en-Vrede website for specific dates and updates during this time (rust-en-vrede.com). You will have to make immediate arrangements for the work to be collected from the depots once you are notified, as the work cannot remain there indefinitely.
- The work will be unwrapped. Should you collect or appoint a courier to collect your work from Rust-en-Vrede gallery, please arrange for the courier to wrap your work(s) appropriately for transport. Rust-en-Vrede Gallery cannot supervise the wrapping of artworks when collected.
- Any unselected works not collected by 10 August 2019 will be considered a donation to Rust-en-Vrede Gallery. Entrants hereby indemnify Sanlam Private Wealth and Rust-en-Vrede Gallery from any loss or damage suffered by such disposal.
THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IS APPLICABLE ONLY TO THE 100 SELECTED WORKS AND NOTIFIED ARTISTS:
- Of the 100 selected artworks, the Top 40 works chosen by the judges will be exhibited at Rust-en-Vrede Gallery from Friday 23 August 2019 at 19:00, when the exhibition will open to the public. The works will be on display until Wednesday 23 October 2019.
- The remaining 60 selected works will be shown at a venue to be determined. This exhibition will open on Saturday 24 August at 11:00.
- The Top 40 selected works cannot be collected before the end of the touring exhibition in 2020. By agreeing to the rules of the competition, entrants agree to participate in the touring exhibition should their work be selected.
- The copyright of all works exhibited in the Sanlam Portrait Award will remain the property of the entrant. The entrant agrees, on an irrevocable basis, that the organisers and/or the sponsors may reproduce any exhibited work, free of charge, for the purposes of marketing, promotion, merchandising, discussion and education, including by means of promotional catalogues, publications, posters, prints, postcards, the internet or in television documentaries.
- The names of the selected artists and details of their work submitted for the competition may be made public after the adjudication. By entering this competition, the entrant hereby consents to the disclosure of his or her personal information.
- The overall winner will be announced at a gala event organised by the sponsor, Sanlam Private Wealth (at a venue to be determined) for invited guests, including the top 40 artists and their partners, on Thursday 22 August 2019. Those shortlisted for the prize will be notified and are encouraged to attend the gala event. They are also expected to attend a press briefing on Friday 23 August 2019.
- In addition to a prize of R100 000, Sanlam Private Wealth will on application assist the winner in entering the next UK Portrait Award competition held by the National Portrait Gallery in London, covering the entry fee and contributing up to R10 000 for shipping where applicable.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
SUBMISSION OF ENTRIES: 1 MAY 2019 TO 31 MAY 2019 (closing at 23:59)
JUDGING FIRST ROUND: Digital images only FROM 18 JUNE 2019 TO 30 JUNE 2019
JUDGING SECOND ROUND: Actual work only FROM 29 JULY 209 TO 2 AUGUST 2019
COLLECTION OF UNSELECTED WORK FROM RUST-EN-VREDE GALLERY: 5 TO 10 AUGUST 2019
COLLECTION OF UNSELECTED WORK FROM STUTTAFORD VAN LINES DEPOTS: Rust-en-Vrede Gallery will inform the artists as soon as the work arrives at the depots
AWARD CEREMONY GALA EVENT: Thursday 22 August 2019 for invited guests only
TOP 40 EXHIBITION PUBLIC OPENING AT RUST-EN-VREDE GALLERY Friday 23 August 2019
(on show until Wednesday 23 October 2019)
PORTRAIT 100 EXHIBITION OPENING: Saturday 24 August at 11:00 (venue to be confirmed)